Tuesday, September 1, 2009

God is Bigger Than the Boogeyman

When I was growing up, there was this song we sang in church that had one verse that said, "God is bigger than the boogeyman."

I'm being impressed with that thought here at the songwriter's conference. Not specifically the boogey man part :-), but the God is bigger part. Yesterday when worshipping through song, I felt even more emotionally moved than normal, and I found myself kneeling on the floor, praying and crying and being humbled by the words in the song that sang, "God can do anything."

There is what seems like a full mountain range of challenges and large decisions to make in my life in the next few weeks and months. Some of them surrounding this ever growing passion I have to use my voice and songwriting to express truth, life and healing. But just as the boogeyman reared his ugly head every time the lights turned off and it was time for bed when I was young, in the same instant that my heart lifts in thinking about developing this gift of song, I feel the boogeyman of fear and doubt whisper in my ear.

Is God still bigger than the boogeyman?

No comments: