Friday, November 6, 2009

Defying Gravity














Recently I had the opportunity to see Wicked the Musical at San Francisco's Orpheum Theater. Based on Gregory Maguire's book "Wicked: The Life & Times of the Wicked Witch of the West," which is a twist on the "Wizard of Oz," the stage show presents the life of Elphaba, the girl who became the Wicked of Witch of the West.

The show blew me away. The cast, set, storyline and music were witty, fun and probing as it explores how the definition of whose good and bad sometimes depends on whose telling the story. I particularly loved the main character, Elphaba, the misunderstood girl with green skin who gets marked as a villain. In one scene of the show, Elphaba stops trying to measure up by the standards placed on her by everyone else, and in true musical form declares so in song:-D.

The song she sings, "Defying Gravity," is surprisingly inspirational for me. I don't live in Oz, I don't have green skin and I can't fly as Elphaba can, but I resonate with the decision to take a bold risk as I've recently done so in my life. Hope the song inspires to defy gravity a little in your life.

No comments: