Saturday, August 30, 2008

Mosaic Music Box--Omega Bugembe Okello

This week's artist: Omega Bugembe Okello

I met this week's artist, Omega, when performing in the annual Easter play at my church. I immediately liked her as she was sweet, approachable and humble. A few weeks into the play I was excited to find out that she ran her own indie record label (she's currently the only artist on it), and it wasn't until a few weeks later when I heard her sing her solo that I realized she could really sing!

Originally from Uganda, Omega sang with the African Children's Choir from a young age. From jazz to R&B to African, Omega's sound is a highly enjoyable fusion topped off by her beautiful voice. I immensely enjoyed two of her live performances in San Francisco, and I'm continually blessed by her humility, faith and poise.

I've been playing her latest album, "Kiwomera Emmeeme" (meaning "it is sweet to the soul" in Luganda, one of the many languages spoken in Uganda), frequently on my iPod. Most of the songs are not in English, so you may not understand the words, but I'm confident you'll appreciate the vocals and music! Some of my favorites from the album:

"Kiwomera Emmeeme"-Talks about the sweetness of getting something you've been longing for
"Mujje"- An upbeat song inviting listeners to come to Jesus. Super fun to dance to!
"Yaye"
"Amazima"

To learn more about Omega's music, check out her website: http://www.omegaworldmusic.com/

No comments: